While classes at Rose won't start up again for another month, Heyleigh and I have taken the leap and started taking lessons again. I originally started lessons back in 2008, and took them pretty constantly until around summer 2013 when I started working at Dover. For a while, my schedule there was so erratic that I couldn't keep to a normal lesson schedule. I still took them whenever I could, but it wasn't every week. Once I started college, all bets were completely off. Between the workload at Rose and the expense, it just wasn't possible; I got some pointers from instructors, but no real lessons.
This summer, things changed a little. Since I'm staying on campus this summer, I'm near Heyleigh while I have extra down time and I'm making enough money through my internship to spare some for lessons. Heyleigh's new saddle is helping her a lot - she's clearly much more comfortable - but I'm hoping taking some lessons will help make her a more rideable horse and help with her jump refusals.
I've had three sessions so far. The first two were nice, though didn't actually help out that much. The first was in the middle of a storm and had three other riders, and the second ended early thanks to a bad fall from the other student in the lesson. During my lesson yesterday though, I actually felt like we were getting somewhere. Heyleigh's head wasn't stuck quite so high in the air, she was reaching under herself at least a tiny bit, and she was actually sort of balanced at the canter. My trainer also gave me some tips on how to lung her more effectively.
My trainer said that if I lunged her and rode her 2-3 days a week on top of my lesson, I should probably be seeing pretty major results in the next month to month and a half. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'd be ablsolutely thrilled if she's right.